I really, really love pineapple and coconut.
But, up until like a month ago, I didn’t know piña colada even existed.
I tried my first (virgin of course) fancy little piña colada in California.
It. Was. Amazing. Practically like consuming my two favorite summer favors at once.
I knew at one time or another I was going to have to create something that had this flavor. There are plenty of coconut and pineapple smoothies, but I haven’t ever really seen a piña colada granita.
Well, now that’s changed.
Granita may sound like some super fancy, hard-to-make recipe, buuuuuut this requires only 3 ingredients and about 5 minutes of hands-on prep.
After that, you freeze and scrape occasionally, and before you know it you have a glass of the tropics in your hand.
This stuff tastes soooo good, and it is definitely guilt free. No heavy cream and cups of sugar to leave you feeling weighed down after the fact.
Don’t get me wrong, I do love my Ben & Jerry’s every once in awhile.
There’s no dairy in this recipe, so this is basically a super-simple vegan ice cream.
You better make this now before summer ends and fall starts to creep in.
But let’s be real here: I’m gonna be making this is the dead of winter too.
- 1 14 oz can lite (or full fat) coconut milk
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- 1/4-1/2 cup coconut sugar, depending on desired sweetness (could also use granulated)
- Dump all contents of pineapple can into a small microwaveable bowl
- Heat in microwave for about 2 minutes, or until bubbling slightly
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved
- Pour in can of coconut milk and mix until combined
- Put mixture into a 9x9 inch pan and freeze for 2 hours, scraping the top with a fork every 30 minutes
- Serve immediately after freezing in glasses and enjoy!