The weather is FINALLY cooling down.
Autumn is my absolute favorite, favorite season. This means it’s time to bust out the sweaters, boots, and scarfs, start burning so apple spice candles, and jump into a pile of leaves. I’ve been waiting for this weather for ages.
I could not wait one second for this season, so I have been testing so many pumpkin recipes, it’s unreal. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bars, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cinnamon rolls (coming soon!!!!!).
And now I can finally present you with my first pumpkin recipe of #autumn2k14.
Pumpkin cookies!! With chocolate chips. And deliciousness. And they’re gluten free!! These cookies are also naturally sweetened, so no butter or oil or refined sugar! Healthy, hearty, homey, happiness all in a bite.
These cookies, however, are not your average super sweet dessert cookies…I would call these more of a breakfast cookie. Or maybe a post-workout cookie? (hahahaha who am I kidding I don’t workout ew)
BUT just because these are “breakfast cookies” that doesn’t give you any excuse not to make these. I mean, who wouldn’t want to eat a cookie for breakfast? It’s also an excuse to eat chocolate first thing in the morning….
So, if it’s cold outside by you, or even if it’s so hot you feel like your face is going to melt, make these immediately to ring in the autumn season. You won’t regret it.
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked in warm water
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (I used almond)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Pulse soaked dates in food processor until only little bits remain
- Add pumpkin and nut butter and process until combined, scraping sides of bowl if needed
- Dump oats, almond meal, and cinnamon into food processor and process again to combine into a thick paste
- Add chocolate chips and pulse just a little, being careful not to crush chips.
- Form dough into little 1 inch balls and place on a prepared baking sheet. If you want, flatten each cookie because these will not spread in the oven.
- Bake cookies for about 17-20 minutes. They may look a little under done when you take them out, but this is totally a-okay!